Pages

Wednesday, November 16, 2011

SEA GAMES: Girls Keep Medals Ticking

FARAH Ann Hadi and Nur Eli Ellina Azmi saved Malaysia the blushes in artistic gymnastics when they secured a silver medal each in the women's individual apparatus finals at Jakabaring Sports Complex yesterday.

An injury sustained on Monday hampered Farah's performance but she was able to score 12.375 points in the uneven bars to finish second to Vietnam's Do Thi Ngan Thuong who scored 12.900m.

Indonesia's Nefy Nurbaety was third (12.175).

Eli, 16, also surprised with a silver in the balance beam scoring 12.075 where again Ngan Thuong denied Malaysia the gold with a score of 12.300.

The bronze went to Vietnam's Thi Ha Thanh (12.050).

Farah also competed in the floor exercise but finished fourth.

"I came here with high hopes so I am disappointed to have not won a gold. I have some consolation as I have at least silver," said Farah.

"I would have done better if not for the injury. Floor exercise is my favourite event but I couldn't do well but I aim to do better in the next Games."

Eli was also happy to win a medal in her Sea Games debut.

"My target was actually to win gold and I came close in the balance beam which is my favourite event," said Eli.

"It was a very good experience competing here."

Read more: SEA GAMES: Girls keep medals ticking - Other - New Straits Times http://www.nst.com.my/sports/other/sea-games-girls-keep-medals-ticking-1.6586#ixzz1dqDWFxjf

No comments:

Post a Comment