Pages

Saturday, November 5, 2011

The Brave Wan Lee Takes Painful Step In Second Bid To Qualify For Olympics

PUTRAJAYA: Malaysia’s top rhythmic gymnast Lee Wan Nin has been given a second shot at qualifying for the Olympic Games in London and she is literally going the extra mile to get back into shape.
The 16-year-old has been making trips to Ipoh – either by train or bus – to get stem cell injections in a bid to speed up her recovery from a back injury.
Wan Nin will compete in her first SEA Games in Palembang from Nov 11-22 – but her main goal is to be in super-solid form for the Test Series in London from Jan 16-18.
She is one of the nine specially chosen rhythmic gymnasts from all over the world to compete in the Test Series, where only the top five will win tickets to the Olympics.
Wan Nin missed the cut for the Olympic Games when she finished 30th in the 130-gymnast field at the World Championships in Paris in September. Only the top 24 were assured of the Olympic spots.
Her 30th spot, however, was Malaysia’s best ever in the world series but it came at a costly price – as she hurt her back.
Wan Nin admitted that injuries were part and parcel of the sport and that she was determined to overcome it.
“My hometown is in Ipoh and I have been seeking treatment there since I got back from the world meet. I felt that it was best to continue with my follow-up treatment there. I have to get three stem cell injections over a period of time. I have had two jabs and my last visit is tomorrow (today),” said Wan Nin, who rushed off to catch a bus back home as soon as the five-day centralised camp at the Palm Garden Hotel here ended yesterday.
“I was hoping to catch a train but all tickets have been sold out because of the Hari Raya Haji celebration on Monday. It’s going to be a hectic trip.
“The doctor usually injects the middle and lower parts of my back at every visit. I am happy that my final visit will be over.
“It is a painful process but I do not mind it. The most important thing is for me to get better.”
Wan Nin hopes to be able to give a creditable performance at the SEA Games but she also realises that she could fall short of her target of winning a gold medal.
“I want to win the gold but I know it will not be easy, especially in the condition I am in right now. It’ll be good to give it a try and see where I stand. The more important event is the Test Series,” said the petite gymnast.
“I missed the cut for the Olympic Games once. I do not want to squander the second opportunity.”
Wan Nin is the sole Malaysian representative for this year’s rhythmic gymnastics competition in the SEA Games following Amy Kwan’s decision to withdraw due to injury.
There will be only one gold medal instead of the usual six on offer because the hosts have decided to limit the number of events.
Wan Nin’s main challenger will be Thailand’s seasoned campaigner Tharatip Sridee.

No comments:

Post a Comment